Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Do a 08 freightliner Columbia have a shut down or kill

Customer Question

Do a 08 freightliner Columbia have a shut down or kill switch where it kill all the lights on the inside of the truck and cigarette lighter.... if so how do I reactivate it???????....
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

No, the truck doesn't have a kill switch for just certain features. If you have one, you have a battery kill that is for the whole truck. You manually turn it on/off as you need.

Are the clearance lights and cigar lighter the only items not working or did you lose other items as well? As example, the overhead lights, gauges, radio, etc? Or is it just the clearance lights and cigar lighter? I'm presuming headlights work?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just the lights on the inside of the truck and the truck will not crank......... it turns over ..... but will not crank and I lost power on the inside of the truck not the outside
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see. Do you have a multi meter? If so, go to the passenger fuse box and on the right side of it there are 3 bolts. 2 marked with red wire and 2 with black. These are the main hot/ground points to the fuses. See that you have power and ground at them.

Also, check for fuses on the battery box. You should have a breaker looking fuse that controls power to the cab. If this is tripped or popped, it will cut the power to the cab, which will prevent start. The ECM power is fed from the cab fuse box. If there is no power there, the truck will not start. It sounds like you have now power to that fuse box which is causing the issues you are having.

I have a field call to do, but if still struggling, send me the full VIN of the truck and I will pull the electrical manual for you. I should be back by lunch and I can send that over to you. That will be about how long it will take to check that power and grounds from the batteries to the cab and the fuses in between.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1FUJA6CK58LAB3166
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

CLICK HERE

This is the electrical manual for the truck

In the pages, it will give you the fuse locations as well as diagram info.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to determine the loss of power location?