cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

2009 kw 2009 cm871 truck cranks no start.. if it starts it

Customer Question

2009 kw 2009 cm871 truck cranks no start.. if it starts it will run for approx 2-3 seconds and die. I have replaced fuel filter, imap, exhaust back press sensor, and delta p sensor as for maintaining purposes. Prior to this no start truck had little to no power and the throttle was unresponsive. The truck shows a message for sid 027 ?response. I do not have a scanner at hand tried disconnecting battery main fuse and disconnecting battery to find no difference in cranking or its firing sequence. Have tried ether with no luck also. The tach does so cranking speed when cranking so I'm guessing both cam and crank sensors are working.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

What is the engine serial number? does the check engine light come on and go off/stay on at key on? what is the full fault code on the dash MID128-- SID 027 FMI??? and are their any others

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light just messages on the odo . Engine serial number is ***** code is erratic engine sid 027 ?response
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Ok i'll see if i can find the code. So at this point when you get in the unit and put the key in the ON position the stop/check engine light are not coming on and going off correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red stop engine light comes on and turns off with koeo
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

ok please check your battery connections make sure they are clean and tight. The Check engine light should come on and go off at key on when properly powering up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already done...everything is clean and all connection tight from alt/ starter system to the batteries. the check engine light does power on and off
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

ok. I'm still looking for the fault code. Ill let you know when i find it

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

OK here is the fault code for the engine . I suspect your aftertreatment is plugged and causing a no start. REMOVE THE TURBO OUTLET PIPE TO THE DPF/exhaust and try starting the unit. If it starts than the DPF and DOC need to be replaced. as well as the turbo if it is found failed. You Need Cummins Insite to calibrate the Turbo, So you may want to get it running and bring it to a Cummins Shop for repair

Fault Code: 2387
SID 027
VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) - Mechanical System Not Responding Properly or Out of Adjustment. The smart VGT controller has detected incorrect stop limits, or the VGT is unable to move to the closed position.

This fault code will set when the actual VGT actuator position can not meet the commanded position for more than 10 seconds.

Large boost pressure leaks can also cause this fault code The aftertreatment system must be inspected Progressive damage to the aftertreatment system can have possibly occurred.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have drained coolant and removed and inspected after treatment injector it is good and clean along with dpf filters have also checked turbo acuator arm for free play and it is in perfectly working order to say the least I may just have to tow it to the next shop available.... sorry but we tried
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

The AT injector has nothing to do with the no start. Did you try to start it with the exhaust pipe disconnected. That was all you needed to do. There is a special gauge you need to check the turbo actuator . Most people think it is good when it really is not.. The sector gear must move thru a travel position if its off a lil bit it throws a code such as you have. There is no such thing as NO FREE PLAY its either good or not . Please don't forget to rate my service. Thank You for allowing Just Answer to help

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

do not reassemble the actuator on the turbo and turn the key switch on you will damage the actuator without calibrating it to the turbo, You will have to replace both if failed. let Cummins know that it is not together so hey dot damage it. Just put i a box and let then do their job. Please don't forget to rate my service. Thank You for allowing Just Answer to help