Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 1993 Ford F700 box truck. when it gets up to about

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Ford F700 box truck. when it gets up to about 50 mph it develops a terrible death wobble. the wobble smooths out above 65 MPH. I can't figure out what is causing it. Any ideas?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not had the wheels checked for any damage or any mud or debris on the inside of the wheels this needs checked into.If a fault is found with a bent wheel the wheel will need replaced.If the tires have not been checked for proper balancing this needs done as well.If all of these have already been checked into and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

The Ford F series vehicles are known for their "death wobble" issues and most have been narrowed down to the tie rod ends and/or the steering gear box. With the truck off and the wheels on the ground, move the steering wheel side to side. If there is excess play, solve that issue first for it may be tie rods.

Next is to raise the front end and check the kingpins on the truck. Make sure there is no looseness in them as well as the bearing. Kingpins are checked with up and doan on the tire using a large pry bar. Bearings are checked with side to side as well as spining the tire and feeeling for vibration through the S-Cam. Is there is no issues, then this is when you move to the steering gear box. On it is a 2 stage adjusting nit. You have a nut that goes over a hex top screw. Loosen the nut, then rotate the hex screw clockwise a 1/4 turn, then tighten. Then test drive and see if the steering whobble has goe away. It is a pain with this method, but it is the easiest method to do to check this.

Ford has many complaints of this and for some reason, they haven't addressed it. I've been dealing with this issue for years on a city fleet. I wish they would just correct it and be done with the issue. Even the new vehicles still have this issue. It's been going on since the early 90's. Once the vehicle gets a little bit of wear on the steering box, the death whobble occurs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Did you need anymore assistance with this? I'm following up since the question is still showing as open/unresolved. Thanks.