Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I have a 97 international with a dt466e I noticed it

Customer Question

I have a 97 international with a dt466e I noticed it starting to skip or sputter. I changed fuel filter,the rock catcher, and even replaced the small ball above the rock catcher. I pumped the hand pump until firm then started.ran fine but still sputtered. I figured it was starving for fuel, I blew back fuel line no blockage, then attached other lift pump with clear line to check flow, no air bubbles so I think no cracks in line from filter housing to tank.I noticed that when truck sits the hand primer needs to be pumped to get stiff again seems like system is loosing pressure. could it be fuel transfer pump or the regulator ?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** The regulator is mounted at the rear of the head on these engines . I believe the fuel transfer pump also has a check valve at its outlet to help hold some slight residual pressure in the system . The small ball you replaced prevents the fuel from draining back to tank. You can pull both fuel lines off the transfer and put a vacuum gauge on the inlet side and crank the engine over. It should be strong enough to pull that vacuum gauge down past 12 " of water . If not , replace the pump .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ! Looking for an update . How was the pump ?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ! Do you still need help with this? Let me know . Feedback is important . Thank you