Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I have a 2003 International 4300 with a dt466e second

Customer Question

Hello, I'm Junior. I have a 2003 International 4300 with a dt466e second generation engine in it. The last 8 digits of the VIN are 3H591702 with an Engine S/N of 470HM2U1387977. I have had the truck with the only mechanic that I can trust for more than a months time but has asked for my opinion in aiding him to solve the current issue on my truck. I have done research online to see if anyone else has posted the same problems, and although very similar, non appear to help in my truck's case. I may not be an expert in mechanic parse but do know my way around a wrench and have done my share of work with enough to know more than just basics. My mechanic specializes with Detroit diesels as well as Mercedes rigs but has little experience with the Navistar/International line. He did my engine overhaul nearly two years ago and did an amazing job and have trusted and came friends since then. Now for the issue at hand; truck will not start at all whether warm, cold unless you spray ether unto it. Once on, it runs just fine or as my friend quoted "like a bat out of hell". Once you shut off, and immediately try to restart, it will not start unless you respray it with ether. I tried staying away from that as have read online that its really bad, plus, a vehicle should start on its own without any human aid; so immediately took my truck to my friend to have a look at. Throughout course of time, since I took truck to him a little over a month ago, we have replaced and repaired the following: IPR, ICP, Camshaft Sensor, Pigtails for both IPR and ICP, Oil Change with Filter, Fuel Filter Change, Check Valve on Fuel Rail, Hose Fittings. He has also done pressure test on the fuel side and checked for contamination in fuel; similar to a bucket test to check the fuel filter housing. Used the JPro program along with another that he has at shop to check for any codes and yup, no active codes. He also checked the pickup line for fuel. Checked the oil sensor to see if it leaks out. Cranking psi for the oil pump is above specs at 953 psi. The ICP is also above specs but can't remember the number at the moment. He still thinks it might be the HPOP but doesn't want to replace it unless he is 100% that it's bad. He doesn't think its the injectors as it doesn't smoke, it doesn't rough idle, nor 'dog out' as I think I recall him saying so. When on, it idles at the standard about 700 RPM give or take, and when driving down the road or highway, it runs with full force. I have ran it with three functioning injectors when we tried repairing them before he did the overhaul on engine over 2 years ago, and still remember how it ran back then, very rough and heavy, so definitely know that all injectors are firing when I drive the truck. I read on a different site, that it might be possible that an injector could be cracked and mentioned it to my friend mechanic but he doesn't think so as it doesn't smoke. He is asking for any advice as also a learning curve for both of us on anything that he might be missing or what to look for. I have tried looking for the EGES 220 that has all the actual specs for vehicle but haven't had any luck finding it. All the specs I have found are from other victims asking similar questions and getting responses back. I thank you so much in advance for any help that is given. I can be reached directly at***@******.*** and my mechanic's email at***@******.***
Thank you again.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Please start by putting a charger on the batteries . We need to make sure they are full charge . You need a miminum of 150 rpm while cranking to build enough compression to ignite the fuel . While batteries are charging , have a good look at the ecm clean power feed . Its the smaller harness at the batteries . It has inline fuses and we need to make sure the fuses are tight in their holders. Also check the connectors along that harness all the way to the starter area for damage .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice to meet you Andy. Thank you for your response. Ahhh, yes, forgot to mention that too, did replace both batteries brand new with same specs right after it started doing the deal of not starting, as thought that it could have been the culprit. It had been working fine all that time and then just one day it struggled to start for work one day and when I got back to my truck storage, I shut down truck then the rest is history with ether. I'm not sure on the cranking RPM but will let you know tomorrow afternoon and did check both fuses on top of the batteries. What I'll do tomorrow, I'll just replace the fuses with brand new ones just to be on the safe side. What I do remember that my friend mechanic did was also jump the starter directly to make sure it was getting enough juice with as he too had read about the low cranking speed possibility and had ruled it out. Will ask him for his computer to double check cranking RPM and will let you know tomorrow afternoon. Will also check the wires that lead to starter for any damage. Thank you again.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

You only need to look at the RPM gauge while cranking .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

It should be registering cranking speed even while cranking . That's how we do it at our dealership

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Andy, have swapped out ecm fuse on top of batteries to make sure and read tachometer at about 200 RPM.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Ok and how is the rest of the clean power feed harness? Any heat damage in any connectors ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, no heat damage near batteries nor to starter. All power feed looks good on tips. No spliced wires either
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Ok what about the turbo ? Does it have a wastegate ?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

And what does your IPR valve connection look like ? Is it loose and dirty ? And your ICP sensor... Is it also possibly loose and dirty ?

Here is the procedure to check codes :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6rqeo3xjxh9r9oo/AABagIrPSixJ5xevIIl-lRjfa?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I remember reading somewhere about the wastegate but disregarded it as thought my truck didn't have one, but have confirmed that it does have one. What is the procedure to check and how to either open or close it? My friend mechanic was using the direct maxxforce software to read all parameters and codes and showed no codes on his computer nor on the dashboard other than the usual air conditioning codes that we have had for over a year but know where the problem is on that. The air conditioning problem is the motors for the vents are stuck but haven't changed them as not a priority. The ipr, and icp pigtail connectors have been cut and soldered on with new ones. As well as replaced both sensors.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

The wastegate linkage works with boost pressure . So as boost pressure increases in the intake , the actuator should begin to open or extend ou t . need to measure how much pressure it takes before the actuator begins to extend out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went over to drop off the codes procedure to his shop and has stepped out. I sent him a copy to check the pressure. As soon as he let's me know, I'll relay message to you. Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

No problem . Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session . Feedback is important . Thank you .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Andy,
I apologize for the delay response as I have been busy myself catching up with my workloads. The program reads 0.1 psi for boost pressure. I have attached screenshots of the full session that friend mechanic had logged as well as a zip copy of the full session log if you have the program to open it. He was telling me that he doesn't like that the original time he connected the computer that the Injection Control Pressure read around 923 PSI and now is reading 714 PSI making it a loss of over 200 PSI. He has the info on hand but needs to know what to look for as he doesn't know the actual specs for my truck. Thank you in advance. I will be away all weekend but will return on Monday morning to check messages. Thanks again, and have a good weekend.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

This engine is a dt 466 correct ? Servicemaxx is showing a v8 engine !

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Can you skype ? This would be better rather than posting back and forth . We could have an audio discussion and diagnose this together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you were right. we didn't catch that. Yes it is a dt466 inline 6 engine. For some reason, the program didn't pick up correct engine and had to manually choose a non egr engine from the scroll list according to my friend mechanic. No, I am sorry, do not have Skype. We did a rescan and the correct engine was picked up this time on program. I added two cranking PSI screenshots if needed of the 1st 10 seconds and with no engine PSI and after PSI was picked up on dash. I have attached the new screenshot line up with the correct engine readings. Thanks again for letting us know of the incorrect engine reading.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Skype is a free small download . Once installed , it would be easier to have an audio conversation about this and we can share screens on that program as well . So I would be able to hear the engine and watch your servicemaxx screen at the same time .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

After you create an account you just search for my skype name which I will give you in a private box , then send me a friend request and we would be good to go . You could also reach me that way should you need me further .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

It seems like you have low ICP .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could cause the low ICP? IPR and ICP have been changed and the Hpop reads high enough PSI at cranking. Friend mechanic thinks it could be the HPOP but it doesn't studder, nor misfire, nor smoke when on and runs "like a bat out of hell", like he likes to say, when you drive it, so wants to be 100 percent it is before changing it out. All runs 100 percent power when you drive it on street or highway; it's when you shut it off. Once you shut it off, it won't start for nothing either hot or cold engine without a shot of ether.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Try pulling main line off at the engine side and put a 0-3000 psi gauge on it . then , disconnnect the round injector connector at the valve cover , put power and ground to the ipr , and crank the engine over and watch gauge . It should build very close to 3000 psi. If not, replace the hpop . They were a bad pump back then . Failed all the time it seemed on those models .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to rate my service. Feedback is important. Thank you .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Is there something else you needed ? Please do not hesitate to ask !