Derek Neustaeter
Derek Neustaeter,
Experience:  Heavy Equipment Technician at Warner Industries
90335403

I HAVE 2006 CHEVY 4600 WITH A DURA MAX 6.6L TURNS OVER BUT

Customer Question

I HAVE 2006 CHEVY 4600 WITH A DURA MAX 6.6L TURNS OVER BUT WILL NOT START CHECKED FILTER HOUSING FOR LEAKS AND PRIMED,NO ENGINE CODES
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Derek Neustaeter replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! I am a qualified Heavy Equipment Technician here at Just Answer, I will help you diagnose and repair the problem you are having with your 2006 duramax 4600.

Have you had an leaks, or noticed any drips on the floor? Has any of the fuel filters been changed recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO LEAKS;HOOKED UP SCANNER, N0 CODES,I HAVE FUEL PRESSURE DURING CRANKING,AND OIL PRESSURE

At what location did you check for fuel pressure? If you able to, check the injections pressure and injector duration on your scan tool and let me know what it shows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WE JUST CHECKED PRESSURE OFF OF THE FUEL LINE & TURNED IN ON BY THE SCAN TOOL IS THERE A PLACE ON PUMP TO CHECK FUEL PRESSUE OR CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO CHECK THIS PROCEDURE BY THE SCAN TOOL THANK'S

On the 4600 model there is a pressure port for checking fuel pressure on the filter housing next to the primer bulb. Some have a fitting attached already, some you have to install yourself like the picture I attached to this message.

What time of scan tool are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THRU SCAN TOOL ,UNABLE TO TURN ON PUMP , GLOW PLUGS AND MIL LIGHT

In order to help you, I need to know the kind of scan tool you are using.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SNAP-ON SOLUS

I am not familiar with this scanner but I know that many aftermarket scanners have limitations as to what can be controlled through the ECM. On your year and model of truck, there is no fuel pump in the fuel tank, so you won't be able to activate it through the scan tool. The lift pump is mechanically actuated from the cp3 high pressure pump at the front of the engine. Is the primer bulb primed to the point where it is hard to push?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PRIMER NEVER GOT HARD TO PUSH, BUT WAS UNABLE TO FIND

ANY LEAK AROUND FILTER OR HOUSING

If the primer is not getting hard to push, you have air in your fuel system. In order to repair the problem the air needs to be purged from the system. Loosen the output line on the filter housing or loosen the fuel filter slightly. Press the primer until no air is pushing out of the filter or line. Tighten the line and push the primer 100-150 times, or until it is very difficult to push. Crank the engine and start. If engine start is not achieved, proceed with priming procedure again. If, after multiple attempts to prime, there is still no pressure in the primer bulb, there is a leak on the suction side of the fuel system. A common area for this to occur is under the driver side door.

This should solve the problem with your 6.6L duramax. If you are satisfied with the service I have provided, please leave a positive feedback.

Thanks,

Derek

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the fuel filter housing assembly.primed system and bled air out

unit will not start,ihave cam signal,and crank signal,and fuel pressure