Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I have a 353 aluminum Detroit diesel that I just put in my

Customer Question

I have a 353 aluminum Detroit diesel that I just put in my 35 AWS Michigan Loader. I'm trying to run the rack. It runs but wont idle and is slow to reach a medium top end. Probably only about 1300-1500RPM's
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What type governor do you have? Can you attach picture? Are there external springs or all internal? Rack usually will not keep engine from reaching top speed, no load. Lack of fuel will cause it, you have no suction leaks in the lines and filter before the fuel transfer pump?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With limited speed governor, with engine off, you hold the throttle in wide open position, and turn the # ***** fuel rack screws in until the injector rank bottoms, do not force. Then set the other two injector racks in to match, while not letting the first one get slack. All need to be same distance.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is link to a diesel site, that has the service manuals for the engine, but you would have to join as a member or guest member, cost is $20.00 for guest 30 day.