Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Should I drain water from the filter separator bowl while

Customer Question

Should I drain water from the filter separator bowl while the engine is running or when it's shut down. C15 engine
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

I would drain the water separator with the engine not running. If it's drained while running I could suck in air.

It sounds like the engine is loosing prime. I have seen this many times. There are two things that cause this.

The first and most common is a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I would change this first.

Second is a faulty fuel pump.

When the engine is off, these items are suppose to hold fuel in the system. When one is faulty. It will cause the engine to lose its fuel prime.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.