Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a question I hope that someone can help. I'm having

Customer Question

I have a question I hope that someone can help. I'm having an issue with my airbags already I replace the leveling valve three times and still having the same issue. I'm getting too much air in the airbags and and becomes a really hard ride. Any thoughts
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

When you replace the leveling valve, did you adjust the rod? That rod is how you adjust how much air goes into them.

If the rod is good, then look for a check valve on that system for the bags. See if there is a valve coming from any of the valves to the line that goes to the valve. You could have one in the line causing the air to not leak off like it should.

You didn't provide the year, make, model of the truck so I don;t know what type of setup you have. Other things to check would be the air ride on the back of the cab to see if there is an issue there and the shocks. These can also cause the ride to feel rough, especially the cab. If the cab air bags are leaking or have too much air, it can feel even more rough than the bags on the axle since it gives the direct impact to the cab. The air bag on the seat (if inflated) can also so the same thing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2015 freightliner cascadia. I already replaced all the shocks. My issue is say whenever I get loaded it will drive fine for a couple miles till I hit couple bumps. I have a air bag pressure gauge on the dash. the pressure gauge on the dash will go up and Thats when I get a rough ride. Whenever I hit the button to lower the suspension let some air out it will ride fine again till I had some more bumps.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like an issue with the adjustment rod itself. I would adjust the rod about a 1/4" towards the deflate and see what result you get. It sounds like the valve is wworking properly, the adjustment is off and giving the bad ride.

Deflate will be adding a 1/4" of rod by making it longer on the bottom of the valve, shorter on the top. You can even try just turning a few turns and making it a 1/8 of an inch. You're probably on that teeter totter point on the valve with where the rod is currently adjusted to not allow a proper deflate when the bags over inflate. That is how to adjust for a softer ride. You have the bags a slight lower on the inflation, by just a small amount, like a pound or if measuring, by a 1/4" max. This will soften the air bags just a tiny bit to give a softer ride.

This is what I do when I learns the trucks are team trucks so the ride is softer for the one sleeping in the bunk when truck is rolling.