spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I have a 2000 peterbilt with a series 60 detroit. I was

Customer Question

I have a 2000 peterbilt with a series 60 detroit. I was driving down the road and it went dead just like you turned the switch off ,I changed the fuel filter it still would not crank.So I tried again it cranked and ran about 1 minute went dead again no stumbling,spluttering,nothing it's just like you cut the switch off.The next time it cranked my truck ran all the way from Greencastle,PA to Wilkersboro,NC then the next morning I went to crank it all it would do is spin over.I have replaced the fuel pump,filters,had the computer checked it's ok,we are stumped, also when my mechanic hooked his computer up to my port under the dash there was no power coming threw it to power his comupter.Any ideas?? Thanks Scott
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

I am a Master Technician with over 30+ years experience that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

I need to ask you a couple questions hope you don't mind.

When truck would not crank does check engine light come on and go off?

When it cranked but won't start did check engine light come on and go off?

No communication to com port indicates ecm is not powering up,, paying attention to check engine light will tell us where to go

Does this have a standard shift trans,,ultrashift,autoshift?

Clutch pedal yes/no?

What is it doing right now as far as cranking and light?

Is this a DDEC 4?

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)
I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a ddec4 the check engine light comes on and goes right back off when it does crank ,13 speed manual trans,you turn it over the engine just spins but does not crank then sometimes it will crank and run fine , check engine light come on when you turn the key to crank then goes off like normal
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scanner to view live engine data?

When it cranks but no start does tach move?

Next time it cranks but does not start give it a shot of ether and see if it catches.

A common issue is The synchronous reference or crank sensor gets weak and will not fire injectors,,giving it a shot of ether will spin engine faster and see if it starts.

Whenever you replace one you should replace both,, synchronous reference and crank sensor

Also if you have low crank speed or low voltage to ecm it can cause this but not as common.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK it will be sometime tomorrow before I can get back to the garage thanks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome

Let me know if you have any problems

I'm usually around during daytime hours,

Thanks

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott,
I'm just following up to see if we resolved the issue, what it was ,or if you need more info.
I would appreciate a reply so I know you are happy with my assistance.
Thanks
spanky