cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

My name is. I have a 444 cummins belches smoke when cold. I

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** have a 444 cummins belches white smoke when cold. I put new injectors in it and I don't know torque specs. could this solve the smoking problem?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i bought a 1988 int with 444 and it smokes bad when cold. i know it is a variable timed motor. changed box for the timing and still smokes. put new injectors in and i'm not sure what to torque them to. friend says 33 ft lbs but that doesn't sound right to me. now motor has a knock in it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure need to get truck going so it can pay for itself
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

What is the engine serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial number is11455159
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Yes the correct adjustments will correct the smoke, the injector old down torque is and based on your CPL # ***** 1185 the injectors get adjusted to 90 inch lbs. The intale valve lash is 14 thousands and the exhaust lash is 27 thousands.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

The injector hold down torque is 168 inch lbs

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

If you adjusted the injectors to 33 ft lbs you have damaged the injectors. and they may need to be replaced again. Please don't forget to rate my service

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Just following up. Please don't forget to rate my service.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I took so long to get back to you.Had to go to work. I did everything to this 444 just the way you said even new injectors. Engine runs fine as long as there is no oil going to injectors. When oil is going to injectors I get a bad knock. What am I doing wrong?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Well you may have air in the STC rail, or the STC valve is failing. Can you Isolate it to a cylinder. You could have got bad injector out of the box. This is very common.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check what you say and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you. I'll give you a great rating
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** Cummins replaces all injectors it is procedure to rebuild or replace the STC valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I turn a 444 into a big cam 400
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Sure it should be done at overhaul time. You will need to replace pistons ,cam injectors,turbo fuel pump. and cost alot of $$$$ your better off buying a recon engine and dropping it right in. It will save you $$$$$

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Hi just following up. Do you need more assistance? Please don't forget to rate my service

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service. Thank You for allowing Just Answer to help