Geoff
Geoff, Technician
Experience:  Fleet Maintenance Training Instructor at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
11959872

Lost power engine light came on message says exhaust filter

Customer Question

lost power engine light came on message says exhaust filter 90per cent full
what is exhaust filter
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can I do to fix this problem
Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'd like to help you.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

The exhaust filter is a component added to all Diesel engines made since 2007. It's there to reduce harmful emissions. The part of the exhaust that looks like a muffler is actually a large filter. Inside this component looks like a ceramic grid that traps carbon and soot. When your truck goes into regeneration, it's increasing the heat in the exhaust to burn out the soot and turn it into a fine ash. The ash doesn't take up much space and is stored in the filter. Once the filter accumulates too much ash, it must be removed from the vehicle and cleaned.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

How often it must be cleaned depends on driving conditions. On average it should go 150,000 miles. However, problems with this system can also occur causing soot to build up sooner. If your check engine light is on, I will need to know what code is active in order to give you specific directions on what needs to be done to fix it. If there is no check engine light, just the warning you mentioned, it needs to be removed and cleaned. This is not something you can do yourself. There is a special cleaning machine that reconditions the filter. It typically costs about $250 to have this done. The loss of engine power is expected when the filter gets too full. When the filter is too full, there is a lot of back pressure against the engine, so the engine protects itself by reducing power.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

If I have adequately addressed your concern, please leave feedback about your experience.