cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

What are the specifics of setting injector preload and what

Customer Question

What are the specifics of setting injector preload and what is the easiest way to identify a top stop injector on Cummins l10. I'm in the unfortunate position of dealing with a motor missing its data plate.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

. Do you have the full VIN number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4v2acbmd6kn623291
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

thank you your engine serial number is *****

you may want to use ther stc injector flush kit from cummins to clean injectors prior to replacing them

The correct setting procedure for an stc engine is as follows..

The valves and injectors on the same cylinders are not adjusted at the same index mark on the accessory drive pulley on STC engines.

One pair of valves and one injector are adjusted at each pulley index mark before rotating the accessory drive to the net index mark.

Two crankshaft revolutions are required to adjust all the valves and injectors.

Be sure to loosen the adjusting screw enough so there is no preload on the injector. This will be accomplished when the rocker lever is loose enough to move

Place the STC tappet adjusting tool, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN or equivalent, on the upper surface of the STC injector top-cap. Rotate the tool around the tappet until the tool's locating pin is inserted into one of the four holes in the top of the tappet. see pic below

Apply thumb pressure to the tool handle to hold the tappet in the maximum upward position.

tighten the adjusting screw while holding the tappet in the maximum upward position. tourque to 6 in lbs

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Sorry my page did not refresh and it showed the prior esn and STC injectors. I reset the page and it is correct with the PT. You do not need the tappet tool to perform this 6inlbs is the setting For the PT injectors. and the picture is correct to set the overhead. I can show you right out of the book if you would like.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service.

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate my service

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.

HI do you need more assistance? Please don't forget to rate my service