spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I have a 2006 western star with a series 60 14L ddec v. I am

Customer Question

I have a 2006 western star with a series 60 14L ddec v. I am having a no start problem. It has done it to me three times in the last month or so, first time a little over a month ago I went to leave home with it at 4am and it wouldn't start, it cranked and cranked but no start,it was cranking over good plenty of battery but wouldn't start. It was mid 40 temps outside so I thought maybe just cold natured seeing as I have only owned the truck for 4 months so after trying to star it about 6 or 7 times I give a little bit of either and it wouldn't even try to start. So after about 5 hours of checking all fuses in the cab at the batteries and under the hood, checking all wiring harness and plug sensor conections and at least trying to start it 20 to 30 times over this time I called my local dealership. They brought their lap top up opened my drivers door plugged the lap top in hit the key and it fired right up, he had no idea what happened, had no codes. So I put 4 new batteries in cleaned all terminals all grounds and connection on frame and motor, it did good for a week then after leaving home and driving 30 miles to my unload destination I backed up to the dock went back to open my doors with truck idling and it started shutting off and on it sounded like someone turning the key on and off as fast as you could I got back in it went to back against the dock and it shut off before I could even close the door and would not start just crank and crank. Seeing I was only about 6 feet from the dock so I got it in reverse and ground it back to the dock with the starter, went inside to check with the dock worker to make sure he could get on it to unload it went back out to call my dealership and before I called I hit the key one last time and it fired rite up. So I drove 20 miles to the dealer, they had it 2.5 days trying to find a problem but could not get it to not start or find anything that would cause it, the only thing they could think was changing the crank and cam sensors. I t did good for a week and a half, went to leave yesterday morning and again would not start just crank and crank. After fooling with it for 2 or 3 hrs I called the dealer again they brought their lap top up hooked up to it and it and it would not connect, he unplugged and rep lugged still would not connect, he said he wasn't sure why.So he walked around to the other side of the truck was going to check my fuses which are inside the passenger side of my cab and before he could even open the pass side door the laptop connected, he hit the key and it fired rite up, this all happened within 3to 4 minutes after plugging the laptop in.Now one thing I noticed is that when it is starting rite the check eng and stop eng liters come on with the key and stay on for a couple seconds then go out and it starts, when it is screwing up and not starting the check eng lite is the only one that comes on with the key and stays on the whole time even when cranking. When his laptop was hooked up with the key on it would not connect and check eng lite was the only lite on,at the same time the laptop connected the stop eng lit came on with check eng lite they stayed u on for couple of seconds and went out then it started. Again no codes and they have no idea. I have a fifteen hundred dollar bill after all of this in about a month and still no clue as to what is causing it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thinking maybe Ecm but hate to spend the money if that's not the problem. Thanks jim
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jim, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

ECM's having intermittent issues like this do occur but most times its the truck wiring issue not supplying key power to wake up the ecm and allow engine to start,,,this is confirmed by no codes in system and light not coming on.

The 40 degrees temps won't be the issue so we can eliminate that now.

This sounds like a ignition switch or the wiring from ignition switch to the ecm.

The most common areas that create this problem are the pass through connectors going from inside cab to engine fire wall,

I take and disconnect all plugs on engine side since all are exposed to the weather and the ones that corrode first,look at each pin for any damage or green corrosion,,if you find any green on pins the pins need replaced,,,you can clean for now to get you going but the seals are bad on plug so replacement is needed.

Since this is a intermittent issue it makes it hard to duplicate but if you could get a test ecm from a dealer to swap out when you are having this issue is the only way to know for sure its a ecm issue,,I would hate for you to spend the money and have the same issue. So clean all plugs first then replace ignition switch since cost is cheap before getting a test ecm.

You can use any 60 series ecm that has the same plugs for testing,, so even a scrap yard one will work for testing.

Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
Thanks
spanky

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

If this helped you Please rate my answer
If not use the REPLY BUTTON FOR MORE INFO
No Rating or Accept of my answer means the website does not pay me and keeps all your money instead of sharing with the expert!
Rating does not close out your question,,, you may still follow up if needed.

Thanks
spanky

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Would you please rate positively or accept my answer,,, if you don't the website does not share the fee you paid with me for assisting you.

Thank you