Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Why does my 2006 peterbilt c15 cat try to die going sown the

Customer Question

Why does my 2006 peterbilt c15 cat try to die going sown the road and will die idoling.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

When you say try to die, do you mean it does not shut off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tries to die, then starts back up. When idoling it will die.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. Does the red or yellow engine light come on when this happens? Or no lights or codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No red or yellow engine lights and no lights or codes.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. Has the fuel pressure been checked with a psi gauge when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. I would have a psi gauge connected to the fuel system first. It's possible the fuel pressure is dropping. I have seen this before. The fuel pressure should remain between 75-90 psi at all times. It its low, you have either a faulty fuel pressure regulator or weak fuel transfer pump.

If the fuel pressure is OK, I must suspect the engine ECM. Since the ignition switch and relay have been changed. I would suspect the ECM. The tough part is the only way to verify is to install a known good ECM.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this all the info. from you or are you still working on the question. Thanks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Yes that's it. I suspect either a low fuel pressure condition or faulty ECM. I would check the fuel pressure first.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.