roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

1999 detroit 60 diesel, was driving it when mpg dropped 7 to

Customer Question

1999 detroit 60 diesel, was driving it when mpg dropped 7 to 3, loss of power,everything normal!! Codes on readout ,engine road speed component failure, engine boost pressure electrical fault! New turbo and gate servo during past 45days,engine has 150k well serviced miles in a large RV!! Changed turbo boost sensor no improvement!Fuel filter and air filter changed also!!Engine is the 500 hp model Need help!!!!
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

There is a part called a v pod that sends air to the turbo actuator to activate the turbo. it is a common failure part. the wiring harness for this is also a common failure. this can be tested pretty easily with the proper scan tool to verify it is working. I would start there and have it checked to confirm that it working properly.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy, I was told 1999 Detroit 60 has no v-pod???? Only lines going to turbo are oil in and oil out!!!
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

what are the last 6 of your vin???

Roy

Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

please read this...

The oil returns by gravity to the engine oil pan through an external oil line extending from the bottom of the turbocharger center housing to the cylinder block. See Figure "Turbocharger Oil Lines" . ‪

If the turbocharger is water-cooled, the coolant supply line is connected to the bottom of the turbine housing, and the coolant return/bypass line is connected to the top. Coolant from the fresh water pump flows through the supply line into the turbine housing, passes into the thermostat housing then flows back to the heat exchanger, thus lowering its temperature.‪

For Series 60 engines with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems: The variable nozzle turbine (VNT) turbocharger uses a high pressure pneumatic actuator to regulate and control the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. There is no turbocharger actuator with this system. The VNT actuator is mounted on a bracket attached to the turbocharger and receives air pressure from the engine-mounted Variable Pressure Output Device (VPOD). The VNT actuator connects via a rod end to a pin joint of the turbine external arm. Rotation of the external arm simultaneously rotates several pivoting nozzle vanes positioned inside the turbine housing at the outer periphery of the turbine wheel, adjusting turbocharger speed and boost in accordance with the DDEC engine management control. A second actuator is the EGR valve actuator that controls the variable position of the EGR valve. The EGR valve outlet is connected to the EGR cooler and recirculates a fraction of the engine exhaust gases to the intake manifold for purposes of engine emission control. The Delta-P (Differential Pressure) sensor uses the differential pressure created by using a fixed orifice and pressure ports on either side of the fixed orifice to determine the actual EGR flow rate. The Delta-P sensor is the feedback loop to the ECM so the ECM can increase or decrease EGR flow via the VPODs, and determine if the EGR system is functioning properly. The EGR temperature sensor is used in conjunction with the Delta-P sensor to determine flow rate and the warn operator of EGR system malfunctions.‪

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy, 013358 engine# *****
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.

checking

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy I verified that my Detroit 60 has no v-pod or egr!!! You never answered my two questions about fault readings and the info on the v- pod was useless, I mentioned in my reply that I was told I didn't have a v-pod!!! All this brings me to asked for a refund to my pay pal account!! Thanks by the way it was a $80.oo timing sensor!! I will contact my pay pal!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't need new tech!! Just need refund to my pay pal account!!!