dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Contractor
Experience:  Road Service mechanic for Volvo Construction.
11640745

Low oil pressure light is on, not leaking oil, no power.

Customer Question

Low oil pressure light is on, not leaking oil, no power. What could be wrong? I am 2 hours from where I need to deliver my load. NO repair shops open. It is safe for me to drive the 2 hours?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please email to***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.

Well it could be a bad sensor giving you the issues. The best thing to do is verify the oil level, and perform a manual gauge reading to determine what the oil pressure is. Not sure you have that option but if the truck is seeing low oil pressure the software could be cutting the fuel to a de-rated position. You will need to fix issue or bypass to get the power back but with out knowing the real pressure it a risky move.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would i go about bypassing the sensor until i get to a shop?

Well it will depend on the sensor, and age of the truck. If it is a three or four wire sensor then most likely its using a 5 volt feed and a ground then using a third wire to send a small voltage back to the ecu between 1-4 volts. You will need to use resistors between the power (5v) wire and the signal wire to send a voltage reading lower than the 5 volts to ecu. You could also swap the sender if it has the same design like for instance a fuel pressure sender to see if it makes a difference. If its a two wire sender then its a open or close type so unplug and bridge the connectors or leave disconnected to see if light goes out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be safe to drive 2 hours?

there is no way of knowing that without the proper test first. You could ruin the engine or it could be just a sender failure thats why the manual reading is required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks

best of luck, your welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just thought I'd up Date youon my low oil pressure from last night. They dropped the oil pan and found a rag in the oil pan that appeared to be sucked up on the oil suction tub.

hello, thank you for the update. Odd i would think the engine was just worked on or someone did that on purpose. The manual reading would have shown that your pressure was low so at least you know the system was working. Thanks for letting me know but sorry for your troubles.