Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Issue with a used tandem Freightliner M2, Mercedes Benz

Customer Question

Issue with a used tandem Freightliner M2, Mercedes Benz Engine MBE900, 280 HP with EGR and an Eaton 9 speed trasnmission. Acceleration issue or power loss, take lots of time to start.
HELP PLEASE!
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

One common issue that may not set a fault code intermittently is a restriction with the exhaust system with one or more of its components being restricted needing replaced.I would have the exhaust checked/tested to see if a restriction is found and if one is found it will need repaired to correct this here.If this was already checked/tested and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would need the assistance of an expert in Mercedes Benz Engine MBE900 since we have tried everything.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k,I will open your question up to see if anyone else here can assist further on this.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

When was the EGR last changed out? It is a pain, but remove the indie cover in the cab at the engine box and drain the coolant down a little bit, then pull that EGR off. Soak it in mineral spirits keeping the black electrical part out. Use a gun bore brush and clean the soot off the EGR. Let it dry, reconnect, then see how it does.

The issue you are describing is a super common problem with a sticking EGR valve. It won;t throw a code, but it gives very horrible power. If you had a auto shift, you will feel like the gears are sticking and not shifting right. I do those EGR valves about 2-3 times a month and all of them do exactly as you describe. You will pull your hair out trying to figure out the issue and it always leads to the EGR being the culprit in this scenario.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy