Raymond McDonald
Raymond McDonald, Other
Experience:  I have worked for Ford and am Master Certified, I have worked on F550, F650 diesel trucks for more than 15 years
11409661

2012 FORD F550 6.7 POWER STROKE NO CODES SHUTS DOWN ON SIDE

Customer Question

2012 FORD F550 6.7 POWER STROKE
NO CODES SHUTS DOWN ON SIDE OF THE ROAD
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any luck yet or information?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for the delay.

The most common component to cause this issue here and not cause any fault codes to set is the crank position sensor itself.It is located towards the back of the engine on the drivers side as shown below.This sensor sends the engine rpm signal to the computer to allow the engine computer to operate the fuel injectors and other components to allow the engine to continue to run as well as start up.In some cases when this sensor acts up the vehicle may have to sit anywhere from a minute to an hour or longer before it will restart and in other cases it may start right back up right away.With what you have described here this sounds like the component needing replaced to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replace crank sensor still no start, what is next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you able to help or not
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.Is your code reader able to read all computers as some can only read engine codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a snap on scanner and i believe it should
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does it always start right back up when this occurs or does it have extended cranking before it will restart?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it never starts, just cranks and cranks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does it eventually start back up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it never started since it quit going down the hwy at 65 mph
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,the way it sounded above was almost like it was stalling intermittently but starting back up,I just wanted to double check this.

Have you replaced the fuel filter at all to see if it was restricted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already change fuel filters, it has good fuel pressure
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this is a difficult one for me to fully be able to diagnose from here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Raymond McDonald replied 1 year ago.

Are there any warning messages on the dash when it quit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No messages

Do you know what the high pressure fuel system is building to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4000