Geoff
Geoff, Technician
Experience:  Fleet Maintenance Training Instructor at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
11959872

I have an N14 in a 99 pete. It barely will run. Just drops

Customer Question

I have an N14 in a 99 pete. It barely will run. Just drops the fuel and dies. I get a code. The orange check engine flashes then the red stop engine flashes 2 pause 5 pause 4
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'd like to assist you. The code your engine is showing is, Fuel Shutoff Supply Solenoid - Low Voltage.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

This solenoid sits on the fuel pump and has a single wire going to it. Whenever the 12v supply from the ECM to this solenoid is turned off, the fuel supply is cut and the engine stops.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

This code becomes active whenever there is current draw above 2 amps on this circuit, possibly due to a short to ground or another device using the same wire for power.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

Check the solenoid itself for proper resistance. For a 12v solenoid, there should be 6 to 15 ohms from the solenoid terminal to the engine ground with the wire disconnected. If that is correct, check for shorts from the ring terminal to pin 16 of the ECM harness.

Expert:  Geoff replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you still need assistance. If I have adequately addressed your concerns, please don't forget to leave feedback and accept my response.