Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

Are you on now

Customer Question

are you on now
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cummins n14 97 freightline.started running bad missing and so on rough idle replaced #2 injector few weeks later same thing replaced #1 and #4 and had over head run buy a dealer been a mess ever sense then.brought it home same problem and it seems to derate at times.i replaced inj 5 and 6 myself ran good no miss but rough idle when warm was still derateing later in the day.but ran strong.shut it off friday took crank sensor plug apart to clean it,cleaned with brake clean pluged back up truck would not start back.went back next morning it started and for a few then shut off started back ran rough then shut off.put i new crank sensor it it same problem.,starts runs a few then shuts off or runs rough and shuts off black smoke.may resrtart may not.when it starts and runs good it smooth as silk.im thinking ecm hope not but thinking that.last week it would be running good till afer noon then act like it would derate let set for a bit and it would be ok for awhile maybe lol what a mess HELP
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In some cases this fault here may be caused by a fault with an incorrectly reading engine coolant temp sensor itself.If you have not had this checked/tested at all this needs done.If found to be at fault it will need replaced to correct this issue.If this is checked and found to be o.k. or was already checked or replaced let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.