Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

What adverse effects could adding a large amount of

Customer Question

What adverse effects could adding a large amount of mothballs to the fuel tanks of a 2011 or 2012 Detroit Diesel DD15 engine and or Fuel Injection System? I have been involved in Litigation for a couple years against some unscrupulous ex business partners and they have done some pretty low things to me, my family, friends and business during that time and I recently had 4 of 5 of my Detroit's go down with serious problems and somewhat similar symptomatic issues before shutting down. Although a complete diagnosis has not yet been preformed except we know one has to be rebuilt. I would like to know what to look for in the event that they were possibly sabotoged. It is a very likely scenario. Also what other possible sabotoge scenarios should I look and or test for. The suspected party has a fair to very good knowledge of engines and preform a lot of their own work on them. Thank you. P.S. tell you readers to listen to D. Ramsey when he says " Never ever do a business partnership. Ever! With anyone!
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Moth balls in the tank will plug up the injectors, pump, filters, etc. usually the filters will catch something that large and cause the engine to starve out and die, preventing the damage. Otherwise, you already know by the need to rebuild an engine that it will wipe out the cylinders.

Now something that needs to be checked for is high amounts of water, oil, kerosene, gasoline, and hydraulic fluid. It doesn't take much of these items to cause the injectors tips to blow off and ruin a cylinder crown as well as making the crouwn melt. Usually looking that the injectors and the cylinder crown wil show the signs of this.

I suggest taking fuel samples and sending them to an independent lab as well as oil samples to see what it in the fluids. The independent lab can verify that. The best option will be to have a independent shop that has nothing to do with your business or case do it. This way the samples will be taken and there won't be any comments about you had tampered with the samples. I'm not an attorney, but as a truck owner and technician, this is what I would do. Those samples can tell a whole story and will really help you diagnose why the engines all failed and what chemicals were used.

THIS HERE is the company I use for my lab testing. They have quick turn around times. Interek is another good company to use. They both are very detailed in everything they find and they will make notes in the labs reports if the fluids have been tempered with.

My area we get a lot of people that will dump hydraulic fluid in the tanks or transmission fluid. Transmission fluid will burn with the fuel, but it can be hard on the engine is too much is used. Now the new fluid that will wipe out the engine from the fuel lines all the way to the engine itself is DEF fluid. That Ammonia in that fluid will kill a engine and rather quickly. A lot of shops have DEF fluid test kits to see if DEF is in the tanks.

On the remainder of the matters, I would definitely have an attorney have an investigator do some research for you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy