Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

2007 volvo check valve on passenger side broke. I bought a

Customer Question

2007 volvo check valve on passenger side broke. I bought a new one. 1 day later it was broke. Truck runs sluggish at idol but ok when moving. Now it has had an engine light come on twice in last 3 days. Oil and coolant levels are fine
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What engine do you have? Did you get the code scanned to see what the code is for?

Which valve broke off? Thee ate many check valves on the truck.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
77n460660. Last 8 of vin. I don't want to tell you wrong engine I know that's pathetic I apologized not a mechanic had truck at truck stops of America they ran 4 codes nothing came up also sending you a picture of the top I have duct tape on it to avoid diesel spillage attaching a picture so you can see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also that check valve I had replaced I asked Volvo why this would happen they said it was just old but put a brand new one on it one day later it was broke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to tell you it says check ECU but that has been going on for months
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I apologize in late response today. My server went into a backup 12 hours early and I coulnd't stop it.

I can't pull up info on last VIN. I have to have full VIN to pull up info on the Volvo system. Only Freightliner does last 8 of VINs.

The check valve on your fuel tank, it just broke on its own? Did the T/A check to see if the tank on the other side is loose and moving? Does it appear the fuel cap is moving? They don;t just break unless one of the tanks are rotating around or there is a bracket issue causing the tank to move or the valve wasn't put back on correct and the fuel slosh had broken it on the inside of the tank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing is moving around and the truck is sluggish like its not getting enough fuel when it is idling also when I feel the truck there is a lot of vapor coming out of passenger tank
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Have you have the vents on the tanks checked? They might be on the caps themselves. If you do a short run with the caps cracked, not off, just cracked, see if you still get the sluggishness. If not, then the vents are plugged causing the pressure to build in the tank, and that can create the sluggishness.

Otherwise, there could be something esle going on electronically with the fueling and the engine needs to be scanned for codes to see what sensor is malfunctioning or not getting the correct reading.

T/A has poor code readers. Depending on the engine, the scan is best to be done by Volvo using a program called Volvo Tech Tool or if the engine is red using the Cummins Insite tool. These are the ones that will pull up the codes. I know what T/A uses and their code readers are just basic readers that really don't pull much.

With that part brealing a day later after Volvo had it, they will warranty it and replace it for free. They won;t charge for the replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I loosen both tanks. Also it broke about 6 days ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you said its not doing anything different yet
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

So you just left the shop a week ago then.

Yeah, I would have Volvo warranty that for sure, but don;t wait too long or they will come up with an excuse as to not do it.

Loosen the caps, the fuel fill caps, then do a short run and see what it does. This way the fuel stays in, but the tanks can depressurize as the fuel is returning from the engine and sucking back out. If the tank valve is bad, it will create a vacuum and cause the engine to hesitate.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Have you done filter changes on the engine?

What color is the engine. Red? Green? Black? Yellow? Blue?

There should be a tag on it that says what it is or if I can get the VIN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but why would that piss break brand new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That piece was solid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and I only lose the cap on the passenger side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plus that Peace was blown out like too much pressure on the inside not suck in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyway I'm driving right now I'll give it about 10 minutes I guess
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

See that hose going to it? If there is no slack in that hose and your hit a bump with the tank sloshing around, it would pull on that piece and make it break. There has to ba a little bit of slack because the tanks shift on the rubber between the tank and bracket. That rubber is like a shock absorber and has a little bit of play.

Either that or something came up off the road.

Another issue is if the pick up tube is broken in the tank, it can push on the valve and cause it to break as well.

Last is tampering. Someone tampering with the truck.

Or if the pressure in the tank isn't releasing due to a bad vent valve it will blow it out.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

What can high pressure in the tank is a bad injector cup in the engine or a bad seal on one of the injectors pushing the pressure from the cylinder into the fuel. If the fuel in the tank has any black color to it, then that is what is going on causing the pressure build up and the check engine light with poor running engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just pulled over she still doing it
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

If you look in the tank, does the fuel look black or dark in color?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll look
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I can tell but its hard trying to look in there because the exhaust is right next to it and I don't want to burn myself but on the inside of the cab everything is clear no coloring whatsoever where it would slosh you know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I'm driving though she drives fine
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

So you have no issues going down the road, just at idle?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

There is a definite fuel problem. It is either a return valve on the engine, or a valve on the tanks.

I susggest getting the codes checked to see what the issue is.