Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

2006 5500 top kick. Keep blowing PCM-1 15 am fuse under the

Customer Question

2006 5500 top kick. Keep blowing PCM-1 15 am fuse under the passenger dash. As soon as I try to turn the key. However my oil pressure gauge is going from 0-max while driving. Bad oil pressure sensor?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

The oil pressure sensor is most likely faulty as you stated. When they get oil in them, they tend to reas from one extreme or the other.

Now on to the bigger topic. The PCM fuse... Does it blow when driving or cranking? Is it random or do you notice a pattern? If a pattern, what is the vehicle doing? I'm trying to narrow down to a possible voltage issue going to the PCM, a ground out to the PCM, or a fault with the injector drivers in the PCM. Unlike the coils which has its own power source to feed the plugs, the injectors get the power from the ECM. Then the ECM's EEPROM chip acts up (the chip that sends the grounds to the injectors to make them fire) it will overload and backfeed causing the fuse to blow. If I can get a pattern information or an idea of when it blows, I can point you in the right direction on what to check.

Now, the oil pressure sensor can cause the fuse to blow as well. If the sensor has oil in it and it grounds out, it will cause the circuit to get warm and pop the fuse. The oil pressure gets its power and ground both from the PCM. I have seen that cause the PCM to blow and the coolant temps sensor. So do swap it out and if the problem resolves, you then know the oil pressure sensor was grounding out and causing the issue.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy