spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

1998 N14 Celect plus 525 started running rough blowing blue

Customer Question

1998 N14 Celect plus 525 started running rough blowing blue smoke and pops thru exhaust sounds like jake is on low while under throttle severe power loss and acts like it is skipping
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** am happy to help you.

Did this issue just start all of a sudden? Did you hear any loud noises and then this started? And did you have a check engine light on?

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you for requesting me.

This sounds like you either have a broken jake solenoid spring or failed o-ring under jake solenoid. Depending on if you have C brakes or Jake brakes it will be the same issue.

This is a easy repair,,remove valve covers,remove jake solenoids and inspect o-rings and springs, I think you will find one broken or damaged.

I recommend changing the springs and square cut o-rings on all three solenoids, they come in a KIT.

Depending on what engine and jake you have this will give you a idea of what comes with kit click here

You can also just replace failed part but you won't know what you need until you get apart.

Jake solenoid or C brake solenoid they will look about the same click here

I have a wake and wedding later today so I won't be around much today, if you run into any trouble let me know I'm happy to assist.

Thanks

spanky