Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

1999 ih 4700 dt466 heui injectors truck is knocking loud

Customer Question

1999 ih 4700 dt466 heui injectors truck is knocking loud when increasing throttle white? gray heavy smoke . am looking to purchase this tomorrow, want to know potential causes of this issue .
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ! My name is Andy ! From what you are describing , this sounds like a bad injector . They do that when there is a cracked tip on the injector .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

If you have the master diagnostics software , you could use it to connect to the engine a perform a cylinder contribution test to determine which one is faulty. Or perhaps just start it up cold and immediately measure each port on the exhaust manifold with a temp gun to see which one is not following in temperature increase along with the others . One will tend to stay colder than the others.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hope this helps you ! Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end . Feedback is important and bonus is appreciated . Thank you .