Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Bought a dump truck with a 3406b last winter, someone only

Customer Question

bought a dump truck with a 3406b last winter, someone only put water in the radiator and now the engine is froze. Will not turn over. How do I find out if the engine is ruined or if there is something minor causing it not to start?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went out to start it in January, was about 20 degrees out. Checked oil and started truck. Truck started right up. Continued outside of the truck doing a walk around with truck running to warm it up. Got back in the cap about 60 seconds later. Oil pressure light was on and no oil pressure. Shut truck down and checked oil again, was full. Started truck again and oil pressure came up to normal and I did a visual inspection of engine with truck running. That is when I found the cracked bonnet. Shut truck down and checked oil again. No leaks under truck and no water in the oil. Went to start engine again and would not turn over.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

If the engine will not turn over. I would suspect there is water on one of the pistons. I have seen this before. Since there was no antifreeze in the engine. I would suspect the water got in the cylinder from a leaking jacket water cooler on top of the head, acracked head or cracked cylinder liner.

I would first remove the jacket water cooler and see if it has leaked into one of the cylinders. It should be easy to see. if it has, you will need to remove the injector it's on to get the water out.

If the cooler has not leaked. I would suspect the head or liner has a crack.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what the jacket water cooler is or where is it located. Is there a diagram I can look at to see what I need to remove?Thanks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Not all 3406 engines have one. But if yours does. It is on top of the engine on the drivers side of the truck. It sits on top of the six intake ports on the head. This cooler uses engine coolant to cool the intake air.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the jacket water cooler the part with the large silver pipe going into it?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

No. That's the intake. Your engine does not have a jacket cooler. Yours is a later model and has a air cooler in front of the radiator.

So I must suspect the head gasket or head.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it could have possibly seized a bearing on the crank, which would make it not turn over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't water in the cylinder drain down into the oil pan after sitting for six months?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

That's possible but not very common. If there is something on the piston you should be able to turn the engine back awards. If it a bearing it will not turn either way.

Actually if there's water on a piston it will stay. It will not leak down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the easiest way to turn the engine backwards? I would like to try this before I remove the head.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

The best way is to use a large pipe wrench on the vibration dampener. It works good to turn either way.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could not spin the motor backwards. What is my next step?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information.

If the engine will not turn forwards or backwards. I must suspect the crank is seized. Could be a rod or main bearing. To verify I would remove the oil pan and check the rod and main bearings. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.