Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

I have a 15 T, 1980 Ford 8000 with a CAT 363 V8 diesel

Customer Question

I have a 15 T, 1980 Ford 8000 with a CAT 363 V8 diesel engine. I have to replace the transmission due to road debris damage. I will be hauling dirt and rubble, so i need a strong drive train. What tranny do you recommend l install? It has a 20' bed with 4' sides. I could use some info on safe load capacity if you have that handy. And (there's always an and) it has a governor on it that holds me at 50 mph max. I' like to get to 65 mph if I could. The truckers blow by me like l'm standing still. l'd like to get even and pass at least a couple of them on the grades if l could. Can you help me there also? Any info you can send my way would be appreciated. Thanks, ***** *****(###) ###-####
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.I see no one has replied with the info you are looking for here.In some cases it can be due to the info you are looking for being difficult to obtain.

If you can I would speak with a transmission repair facility to see if they can offer the best option with a transmission that will bolt up and work here.IN some cases they may be able to remove and rebuild your transmission to the specifications you need as well.If these are not an option for you here let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, the info we are requesting is basic. which transmissions were available in the 1980 ford L8000 series trucks. the L8000 dump truck is what we have. it had a 5 speed manual transmission, with a 2 speed split box and a PTO for the hydraulic dump bed. so, again, which manual transmissions were available in the 1980 ford L8000 series trucks?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not have this exact info myself for this here.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete