Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I'm looking to purchase a 2005 peterbilt sleeper truck. The

Customer Question

I'm looking to purchase a 2005 peterbilt sleeper truck. The seller has receipts supporting a rebuild on the c-15 cat engine a little over 100k miles ago. The problem I'm having with buying the truck is it seems to have a lot of blow by. What is your advice?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

With only 100K miles there should not be much blow by. It's normal to have some but not a lot. With this low of miles, I would not suspect cylinder wear. There are two other things that can cause blowby.

The first is a worn air compressor. They have Pistons and cylinders too. If they wear. It will elevate blowby.

Second is a faulty turbo. Sometimes they can fail and allow exhaust to travel down the oil drain back tube and elevate blowby.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!