Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

I got 30 of Chevrolet vehicles with Duramax Engine. I have a

Customer Question

I got 30 of Chevrolet vehicles with Duramax Engine. I have a very weird engine crank shaft failure going on up to me. Most of cases (total 9 cases of broken crank shaft) regarding engine crank shaft broken were happening on 2008--2009 LMM Duramax engines. Some of crank shafts broken with no pre-signs. But I got three cases happing like this way: 1. Engine shuts off them self about 30 minutes intervals while driving, and it is been like this way for a year With no reason no harm. 2. Until one day engine does not shut off anymore for an hour, suddenly engine running rough and break the crank shaft. 3. While we check the engine we find those three vehicles got oil pressure sensor wire broken.
Question: 1. Why most of the cases happing on LMM engine? 2. Is the oil pressure sensor signal so important in order to cause crank shaft broken while its wire is broken? 3. What we can do to prevent these happening?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

If there are broken oil pressure sensor wires on the models that this is occuring to this may be a fault with the computer not sensing the correct engine oil pressure causing this here.I know on some models if the incorrect signals are seen faults can occur with engine running which may cause engine damage in some cases.I would suspect the wiring to the sensors and see if it needs repaired and to see if it was stetched to tight causing this needing repaired and lengthened.

Poor engine running can lead to crank shaft breakage if there is kick back on the engine.I have seen several fuel injector failures in the past cause issues like this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm wandering why the crankshaft is broken on most of 08 and 09 Chevrolet vehicles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chevrolet C5500 or GM C5500
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I don't have the exact info on why this is or can occur myself but this may be a fault with a poor built crankshaft,or possibly an issue with engine kick back/back fire or bearing failure in some cases.

Thanks Pete