dusgrant
dusgrant, Contractor
Experience:  15 years of experience.
28270840

I have a t190 Bob Cat and it cranks fine and then after

Customer Question

I have a t190 Bob Cat and it cranks fine and then after about 5 to 25 seconds it shuts down. This is the first time this has happened and I have tried everything that I know and it will not stay cranked.
I checked the fuel filter by draining the fuel and seemed to me there was a little water in the fuel, also cleaned the air filter. When I drained the fuel filter and pumped the bulb back until it was hard and tried it again..same thing. When it cranks alot of black smoke comes out of the exhaust as if it was getting to much fuel. The whole thing started when I was backing up and it just shut down. I thought the machine had run out of fuel so I refuled it and it cranked. I drove it back to the top of the hill where it sat for 2 days. And after that I came back to do some more work it would crank but then it would shut down after a few seconds. This is when I thought that it had never gave out of fuel in the first place. I cleaned the relays and tried it again and it still does the same thing cranks and then shuts down.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been waiting a good while for an answer.
Expert:  dusgrant replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the engine is firing and running for a short time and then quits, correct?

The fuel injection pump has a solenoid on it that has two circuits. One is to PULL the solenoid in (high curren/low resistance coil in the solenoid), and the other is to HOLD the solenoid once pulled (low current/higher resistance coil).

The pull turns on by a relay and is on only for a few seconds at key ON and Crank, then the PULL circuit turns off and just the HOLD circuit is ON for as long as the ignition switch is in the ON position to keep the engine running.

I believe you may have a faulty fuel solenoid, OR the HOLD circuit may be open circuit and not putting 12 volts to the HOLD circuit of the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Now what do I do to correct the problem that I'm having. Do I just replace the coil or is there some other checks that I need to make before doing that. What about the almost black smoke that comes out of the exhaust when it does crank or even when it does not crank it still blows that same smoke. I have checked the relays in front of the seat, drained the fuel filter, cleaned the air intake filter and all of that seemed fine....and pumped the ball back up. However, back to what you answered back to me I'll check that but wait for your reply before doing so. Thanks!.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll just call a sevice company since trying to get a good answer is taking to long, I guit.
Expert:  dusgrant replied 1 year ago.
I am still wondering about the answer to the question I asked. Does the engine fire and run and then quit/die, or does it just crank and never actually fire and run?
I would check voltage at both power wires at the solenoid to make sure there is 12 volts on one for short time at key ON for the pull, and then constant power on another for the hold circuit.
The black smoke tells me that the engine is getting fuel when cranking, but maybe the cranking speed is too slow (weak battery), or compression is low, or maybe injectors are faulty and are not atomizing fuel properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My very first sentance in my original question tells you it cranks and runs for about 5 to 25 seconds and shuts down. That sentance should have answered your question that you ask me in your first reply. Nevertheless, I've already called a service company to come out to get me going so I appreciate your time but I need to get going. I have allot of work to do and this "Just ask" thing is taking to long. Thanks!!