Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I got a driver out with my truck 2005 peterbilt 287 cat 15

Customer Question

i got a driver out with my truck 2005 peterbilt 287 cat 15 twin turbos the truck has been running fine and all of a sudden last night she stopped to sleep at a truck stop when she turned it on she has her water temp reading 250 and buzzer on and h20tmp reading turned off and tried again about 5 minutes later and ran for about 5 miles then warning came out again and truck shut off. Do you think its a bad temp sensor or can it be something else???
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
Yes it's very possible it's a bad temp sensor. I have seen it before. It's best to use a temp gun to verify the engine temp.
If the sensor is OK, I would suspect you have either a stuck closed thermostat or failed water pump.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know the location of the thermostat by any chance???
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Just locate the top radiator hose. It connects to the thermostat housing. The thermostats are inside. There are two of them.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.