Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 1999 pete with a 2ws with a broken crank and i am

Customer Question

I have a 1999 pete with a 2ws with a broken crank and i am replacing with a 5ek i was told to get the harness from cat 40 to to 70 pin part#(###) ###-####the more i read the more i think this harness is not right . Another reason i don't have my hands on the 5ek yet it will be here tomorrow. I appreciate the help in advance
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  go-west.. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you are putting in a 5ekengine a 70 pin qwill not work 5Ek use a 40 pin

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
The harness(###) ###-####is for putting a 70 pin engine into a truck that had a 40 pin. Unfortunately Cat does not make a harness to go 70 to 40. I am sorry.
However you can make it work. You will just need to rewire the truck connector with a 70 pin plug. It will take some time but it can be done.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they have a schematic out there to make it easy to rewire to a 40 pin?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
I can get this for you. Let me get some info together. Be back shortly.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey.
Here is the information you need. Just copy and paste this link into your internet browser. Also, you will need to use Cat tool part number(###) ###-####
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11922365/4070.pdf
Please reply back if y ou need more help. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks . Also does the ecm need to be hooked up before this engine is pulled out of the truck have heard you need to so can put that info into ecm that will be with motor I am going to install trying to figure out pretty quick need to get this motor out
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Yes I would have the ECM read and the settings copied to put in the other ECM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok .. Do they need the truck to download info and to pick on new computer .. Or can I bring them both ecm's off each engine and do it that way
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
No they do not need the truck. You can just take them both ECM's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up having problems with that 5ek when it came in so I'm thinking of getting a c-15 I've heard preferably a 6nz what will be needed to install this motor in my 99 Pete just the ecm swap info because if I got it right both my motor and that c-15 have 70 pin ecm's ?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
Yes you are correct. Both the 2WS and the 6NZ have 70 pin ecms. The ECM connector it identical. All of the mounting points of the engine should be the same as well.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. If you need more help later, this question will stay open for weeks after leaving a positive rating. Thanks.