spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I have a motorhome with a Cummins 450 ISL9CM2350LI0I engine.

Customer Question

I have a motorhome with a Cummins 450 ISL9CM2350LI0I engine. The "engine malfunction" light came on when I started it this morning. All my gauges are normal. I'm in the middle of nowhere - can I drive it?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Good morning my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Yes you can drive it depending on why the light came on what it may do is cause low power or drive just fine but it is very safe to drive.
If the red stop engine light comes on then engine will shutdown after 15=30 seconds just so you know.
There are a thousand reasons the check engine light can come on most don't cause any issues it just tells you the computer sees something from a sensor that is out of range.
In order to find out why the light came on, you can stop at a truck stop with a service center or any Cummins dealer,,they will charge you 1 hour labor to hook up a computer to see what codes you have any can give you a idea of what is wrong.It is safe to drive though.
One of the most common causes is low coolant level so check all your fluid levels.
Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
Thanks
spanky