spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

Working on my N14 1995 freightliner my truck broke a piston

Customer Question

hi there working on my N14 1995 freightliner my truck broke a piston number 2 and piston sleve connecting rod damage the valves on the front head louckly dint do any crank shaft damage or block damage replaced piston sleve and head all good
but truck dint start so went to test fuel solenoid dint have have power to solenoid so ck computer fuses the 2 were burn the replaced fuses and still no power to solenoid tested ign brakes all good ck power to computer all good ck codes only had code 241 decided to replace fuel solenoid suddenly there power on the cable to the solenoid try to start truck then power went out to solenoid don't now how the ingine trouble lead to a electronic problem I do all coolant went to the ingine oil pan due to the piston sleve Ben damage wen there no power to the solenoid you turn key and red and ***** *****ghts come on for a fraction of a second and go out wen power was on to solenoid they will act normal the red and ***** *****ght will stay on whit key turn to on position thinking may be Crack sensor got damage please advice cus running out of ideas to try to get my truck running
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forgot to mention that truck runs wen I spray starting spray on air filter and will stay running as long as I keep spray going
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry about delay.
Fault code 241 is for VSS copy and open this link in new tab to view,
NOTE this will not cause no start.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JCTech012/2009-11-13_110739_FC241.pdf
Check to see if check engine light comes on and goes off by turning on ignition but don't start engine?
Before I forget you should change piston cooling nozzle on that bad cylinder.
Check the engine position sensor EPS under air compressor and its wiring,,it should not have got damaged but may have metal stuck to it causing no signal,,pull sensor and check for scuffing on magnet.
I have to go in for a ct scan but will be answer any follow up questions when I get back.
Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
A rating is required. You’re rating my personal service to you, not Just Answer. I am not an employee of this website, nor do
I have control over the fees or the time it took for you to get a response. I respond as soon as I see the questions in the order
that I receive them when I am online.
Also rating does not close your question, it just assures Just answer credits me,,, has nothing to do with you.You can continue
to follow up as long as needed even after rating
Thanks spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention I did change the no nozzle wen you turn the key to on position and ck ingine light comes on for a fraction of second then stays off not like it use to I am going to try that see if crank sensor is bad
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for info.
Usually check engine light will come on for about 3-5 seconds and go off,,since yours is going off fast that tells me you are loosing voltage like something is wrong with power supply.
Check power going to both engine fuses,,make sure pins in fuse holders are tight,,,use a headlight and check power going to fuse holder with fuse out using the hot side to power headlight and use engine ground for other headlight connection,,it should burn bright,,if not trace power wire inch by inch it is bad.
The main ecm power comes directly from a constant battery power source either directly off of battery or starter.
Make sure all your battery cables are clean and tight.
That power wire may have rubbed through somewhere look closely outside battery box,,,around hot or moving parts,,loom clamps,,,wire ties,,,all of which are common problem areas.
It sounds like you do not have enough power to run all ecm functions.
Don't forget to check all your ground cables at battery and starter.
The deposit you placed will NOT credit me for my work unless you Rate my performance.
You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating...
Thanks
spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I changed crank sensor no luck any advice on what to do next tanks my truck has 2 power lines to the computer that come from battery's and one ground I ck power all the way to were wires go to port on ecm they have power sorting that cash my attention is that my truck is off whit ignition off and I will disconnect ground on the ground wire on battery's and will create sparks even wen truck is off advice if this is normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sparks r in the computer ground wire wen I take them the batteries off or on
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
I think it would be best if we could speak on the phone to get this fixed so we don't have to go back and forth,,I'm going to send you a offer for phone call,, if you like I can call you or we can keep posting back and forth,, its up to you but will be much faster speaking on phone and you need to get this running.
When you did all the engine work did you have batteries disconnected?
How long where they disconnected?
Disconnect alternator charge cable with key off,,do you get a spark when removing/connecting? with it removed see if you are getting same spark connection ecm ground?
How big is that spark when disconnecting ecm power?
Did you load test power wires with head light?
Since you have a ground wire with two hots for ecm use that when load testing wires?
Talk soon
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
How did you check codes with a scan tool or cruise switches?
Try pulling codes with cruise switches
If you don't know how let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I pull codes white cruse controls?? I traced all computer harness for continueted and all good God done put computer back on gust for the heck and truck starts now going to go try again in a bit I am puzzle
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Only checking continuity is not enough to find this issue!
I would appreciate a positive rating so I get credit from JA for my time,,it has nothing to do with us going back and forth,,, question will not close,,without a rating from you, JA does not pay the expert for their time.
I also need all my questions answered so I know what you did so we can eliminate that,,if you don't tell me I can't move to the next item to check,,I do things in a progressive order by my 30+ yrs experience.I don't skip steps or it comes back to bight you in the ass!
Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check
engine light:
1. Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
2. Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
3. Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a three digit flash code and
the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the
system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to
determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the
second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code
and again for third digit.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be
displayed in the same manner.
Thanks
spanky