Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on, Gmc, Macks, Freight liner,Mercedes Benz,,Ford, sterling
6825259

I have a 1983 ford L9000 dumptruck with a 855ci big cam

Customer Question

hello I have a 1983 ford L9000 dumptruck with a 855ci big cam cummins 300 horse , the truck had sat quite a bit since 08 it did start once in a while was going to start using it again it had about a 1/3 of a tank of fuel in it only 1 tank pass side , ran it a few times but was a little hard to start and wouldn't idle right off had to run a few mintues anyways I put a big can of seefoam in it and a small bottle of injector cleaner thinking it would clean the injectors and pump ran it in my yard for maybe 10-30 minutes 5 or 6 times started getting worse eventually to the point it wouldn't start , removed the fuel filter and the screen in the pump and was just covered with what looked like black tar and thick and goey sludge I replace filter and clean screen cleaned some of the hoses cleaned out the tank .. I can not get this thing to run I have tried everything I can think of blew thru all the lines ran the afc screw out a couple turns , it will fire on either but wont pick up and go just dies after either has run out , im pulling my hair out here ? I took out the check valve at the upper rear of pump it was clogged to cleaned it no change I even bypassed the tank all together I have a clear hose off back of pump into a 5 gallon jug of fresh diesel please any help ? what am I missing ? it ha the pt pump and does have air start wich sucks at the moment I cant crank long please help ?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

Yes you have black algae in the system, very common

when sat a long time, you also need a couple of diesel fuel treatment

to kill algae in the tanks, your pick up/transfer pump, is most likely clogged also

I suggest to replace it also

If this Helped you please Rate My Answer 3 stars or more

If you need more info

Use the request Button, not a Poor/Bad Rating

Thank You

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Wayne I have a fuel gauge hooked to the pressure port right now I try to start it the fuel pressure gauge goes up to 20 psi and a little higher but then I loose my air pressure in the tank for the air starter and the pressure on the fuel gauge drops off right away isn't holding the fuel pressue , i get some smoke rings out of exhaust but just wont take off and with out either at the moment to , this has the cummins pressure time pump with the afc control this pump draws the fuel from the tank goes thru the pump then up to the common rail in the heads ,, so are you saying i need to replace the injector pump ? because its clogged ? could i somehow run the algea cleaner thru the injector pump ? thanks
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for that
20 lbs is a little low,
need to be around 28-32 PSI
do you have shop air, you can pressure the tank , while someone
cranks the starter ( yes I don't like air starters/oil starters )
also remove the suction line from the fuel pump and squirt
ATF in there to help loosen and move the sludge
yes last resort is to Purchase the Kit from Cummins
to clean the pump and injectors
If you need more info
Thank You
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I'm just following up with you
did my answer help you
let me know
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi Just following up with you again

did my answer help