Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

We have a 2011 International truck and the AC will not come

Customer Question

We have a 2011 International truck and the AC will not come on. Fan runs but no power comes to the compressor. Is it likely to be a controller or something else?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! My name is***** we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1HTMMAAL6BH323268
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks for the info . I will look for a wiring diagram on this as soon as I get home from work today if that's OK. We are likely looking at wiring issues .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Any particular wiring harness or connection we should look at in the meantime?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
If you have had the windshield replaced , have a look at the body controller connectors. There may be corrosion from water intrusion possibly from the leaking windshield
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The connectors looked ok
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks for the info . with AC on max setting and engine running , can you tell me if you have 12 volts at the clutch connector ? Both power and ground at that connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Intermittently. About every 10 seconds it has power then goes back off immediately.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
How long does it have power in seconds? And is the ground side OK at that connector?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that your clutch coil is defective ? PLease measure the resistance between the the two pins at the clutch side connector . It should measure between 3 and 4 ohms . Then measure from one pin to engine block ground and it should be OL .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had to send the truck out with no AC. It will be back this weekend and we will check the coil. Sorry for the delay
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
No problem ! Talk to you on the weekend then! Perhaps we can continue this over Skype audio if you want ! It 's an additional offer we send out and if you accept , we can use audio or video Skype to aid in diagnosing the issue and I could perhaps send more info that way as well. Let me know . Thanks.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Just looking for an update ! Are you working on this unit ? I would love to give you a hand to figure out what is wrong. Perhaps we can use Skype and have an audio or video conversation while diagnosing the issue together . Let me know ! I am around today but work day shift during the week at the garage . I am also available on the evenings . But today would be real good if you still want to .