Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a1985 vogue motorhome on a Gillig chassis with a Detroit

Customer Question

I have a1985 vogue motorhome on a Gillig chassis with a Detroit 8.2l "fuel pincher" engine. The engine has 87k on it, had new heads@ 42k (before I owned it) It runs perfect, has not been overheated, uses little if any oil, which stays clean. it doesn't particularly smoke on start up and idle. Once it's warmed up 20-30 miles down the road, when you pull over and idle it smokes huge clouds of bluish white smoke, and continues to smoke, not much at higher rpms, but a Lot at lower rpm and idle. It always starts instantly and runs well. ideas?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is this the natural aspirated engine or the turbo charged version? Does the smoke have odd , sweet smell? Are you loosing any coolant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you know, I'm not sure if it's turbo or not, I was told it wasn't, it looks like it is, can't tell without pulling the bedroom apart, which I'll do tomorrow. smoke smells carbon-ey, fuelish, not losing coolant so far.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If turbo model,the turbo may be leaking oil into the intake. If not, your injectors are the likely problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would one determine it's the turbo seal vs one of the injectors. can the injectors be checked without changing the injection timing etc.? (not electronic injection on this one)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If turbo model, you can slip the turbo hose back, that goes to the intake, and see if it shows oil in the hose. If there is oil, the turbo seals are leaking. No oil, then figure it is the unit injectors. Takes special tool to set the injectors on this engine. Timing on engine is the injector height on each injector.