Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Cummins 05 ism oil in exhaust pipe, what are the main

Customer Question

Cummins 05 ism oil in exhaust pipe, what are the main reasons this could happen. engine just rebuilt, turbo new,
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. The most likely causes are rings not seated properly after rebuild. Misadjusted valves, Turbo, or possibly fuel from injectors. What was done on your rebuild? Let me know and I will be glad to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the engine needs to run to seat or their is a problem with the rings? New turbo, Injectors not rebuilt, in frame, head sent out and gone through at machine shop. How could the injectors do this? Adjusted many valves, never had an issue. Engine was passing lots of oil was the reson for rebuild, but ran great.
Yes, after overhaul you should not let the engine idle excessively. It should be run under a load to help seat the rings. Also check your crankcase breather to see if it is plugged and saturated with oil. If so replace it. It is also a possibility that the rings either got damaged on install, the ring gaps are lined up and not staggered, or the turbo is leaking. If you have jakes, check to see if the problem remains if you do not use the lakes. Run through the overhead adjustments to verify they are correct. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry left town, I am back. Well he drove it not to far and it seem to have stop. But found problem with air leaks on trans, and lines let idle to find and repair it took a while, it started to leak again. If I drive it
hard will seat the rings or will I have problems?