Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Freightliner Columbia (mtg date) 07/05. VIN# *****

Customer Question

Freightliner Columbia (mtg date) 07/05. VIN# ***** eaton 18spd autoshift transmission. (I do not believe it is the ultrashift because it has a clutch pedal. I have a fault code related to the( start enable relay). My question is simply this------were
is the start enable relay on this truck?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist the issue may not be the relay itself but may be the clutch switch. the relay will not work without a proper signal from the clutch switch to the ecm. if it does not sww the signal, then it will not enable the relay. what was the code number??? the relay is in the fuse/relay center on top of the passenegr dash. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
flash code 17 (start enable relay coil test). the low amp side of the relay #86 signal from 30 pin plug of shifter control pad, also #85 relay ground also runs to the 30 pin plug. Yes there is a couple of relays in the right hand circuit panel,but they are not marked.I may be able to confirm which one it is if I knew the 30 pin shift control plug was, because this truck has the smart shift on the side of the steering wheel and therefore they hide the shift pad. In regard to the clutch switch, this truck has always started without depressing the clutch provided the transmission goes through it's self test and displays neutral on the dash display. So were is the eaton shift controller hiding being the smart shift is an add on? If you know were the eaton shift controller is that would be great aswell. thanks jack
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
I will see if I can get a legend for the fuse box to identify the relays. the controller is on top of the trans. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take it you can't find a diagram of the circuit panel. In regard to what I said previously, the transmission controller vs the shift controller are not one in the same. In the troubleshooting tree for this transmission they talk about the 30 pin plug at the shift controller, not at the 30 pin plug at the transmission. The wires do run between the 2 controllers ,but the start enable relay coil wires run into the shift controller, not the transmission controller. When everything is working properly the transmission sends a signal to the shifter controller which in turn displays an N. Then the shifter controller knowing the transmission is in neutral then sends a signal through the # ***** wire (power) to the relay coil, this closes the relay across #30 and #87 sending power to the starter solenoid. the problem is ,because this truck has a shift control paddle on the steering column (called a smart shift) which is generic, and is tied into the key pad controller, which is normally found in the truck, either on the dash or on a pedestal between the seats. When the smart shift it used I am told they hide this key pad controller in a water/dust sealed box some were on the truck and run only 6 or 8 wires from it to the smart shift paddle on the steering column.I want to know were they hide the original shift controller when they are using the smart shift paddle. I have never been able to find it. Eaton assures me it does exist. I think every manufacture decides to put it WERE EVER.