Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have an A C shuttle that jumps into gear. Can not ease clutch.

Customer Question

I have an A C shuttle that jumps into gear. Can not ease clutch. Pressure seams good at 60 psi. There is water in the oil. Is it possible the water is causing bronze clutch plates to grab? If so what oil does it use Hytrans?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The water can certainly affect the unit! Get the oil drained and replace with 10w30 wt engine oil. Is engine idle too high? High idle can make any lift jerk into gear, a lower idle can help. Also most modern shuttles have a modulator to keep them from slamming into gear, the modulator spring or valve may be stuck. It would be in the control section of the shuttle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My idle is appropriate. This is an old forklift. Has a perkins diesel, ac shuttle made by borg warner, t19 b&g 4 speed with a ford axle.No one really knows what brand used this particular combination. My transmission man(40yrs experince) checked the valves with air. Was able to move then with air pressure. The springs are intact. Once had someone tell me there was an o ring on the clutch piston that maybe gone therefore instead of moving smoothly back and forth it slams in either direction. is this possible? Have you heard of this combo before?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have picture of the forklift?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Clutch seals won't do it, but a broken clutch spring would.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Air tires or warehouse tires? I have seen this combination in old Harlo lift.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Large air tires (tractor tires) no picture it looks like a master craft or massey ferguson. The counter weight was not available so we mounted a 120 gal propane tank which we add h2o as needed. It has a longer wheel base than a MF. The tilt cylinders are mounted between the steering column and the fenders. That is the most distinctive details that I have noticed. It has two lift cylinders one in front or the other with a vertical lift of 30 feet.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What does it have for inching control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what inching control is.Can you explain?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Typical forklift, even rough terrain forklifts use left brake pedal to kick the transmission into neutral. The inching valve typically is a spring loaded valve and it gives you the feel to (inch up) to load, and lets you lift without moving forward or reverse. It can also be modulator valve, that has spring loaded piston, that has to fill it's cavity before the gear engages, giving a smooth engagement. These seem to be what you are lacking!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
And it may not have a left brake! Some models only have one brake pedal., but work the same.