Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Volvo dump truck engine injector mechanical fault inactive

Customer Question

Volvo dump truck engine injector mechanical fault inactive #5 at this time was on at the time driving it and lites on dash running rough now seems fine pyrometer electrical fault
in active e 255
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 1 year ago.
hello, i have see the injector codes come and go and it can be a variety of issues. Wiring in the loom has chaffed, injector coil is weak or shorted to ground at times depending on vibrations, injector pins to harness have a poor contact and create resistance under running conditions, ecu failure not as commmon, broken spring on injector, or harnesss rubbing on valve train under valve cover. I would inpsect the injector and harness then ohm back to computer while moving the harness around to see if reading varies. I would also have an injector ready to install in case your inspections come up dry. One other thought is low fuel feed pressure or air getting into common rail via injector cup leakage or loose fuel line/ bad feed pump. That is my experiece with the volvo motors, Hope it helps, Dan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at times this truck quits running like it gets air in system I have to prime it when I bleedit out the top bleeder it gets air then looks white in color then a steady steam come out it will run if the cups were bad wouldn't smoke I think feed pump but it dosnt do it all the time I just drained the tank looking for water in system cant seem to find air in lines at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what s the best way to look for leaks
It has been my experience that if you check all the seals on piping connections for tears or paint under the seal. Fuel filter housing have had internal issues difficult to troubleshoot since you cannot see the issues. However the cups also have failed several times in my experiecne. What happens it the exhuast gasses will mix in the common rail letting air into the fuel system and it will act just as described. Pulling the injectors you will see the failed one will have excessive black soot and fuel mixture on the injector and thus your problem. SO I would check those after you verifed fuel feed pressure and seals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check this to day lines and fuel filters first
not sure where we are on this issue please advise.