Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

I'm working on an isx10 that isn't starting nor is it lettin

Customer Question

I'm working on an isx10 that isn't starting nor is it letting me hook it up to the diagnostic scanner, I check power going in its at 11.8v, grounds are flowing 11.8v, but key hot is only giving off 6.1v, decided to try to start it and it started first attempt with no hesitation, ran for about 15min shut down and hookup computer for DDreports it connected and gave codes, went to start again and failed then would not reconnect to DDreport checked all power and grounds and we're all same as before reconnected and still failed, any suggestions or advise?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help ! Can we start with the engine serial number please ? Also , what is the year make and model of truck you have ? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the serial number tomorrow it's a ,2014 I believe, KME Fire aparatus
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
So you have low voltage to the ECM ?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Once I have the engine serial number , then i can look up the wiring diagram and tell you where to load test .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
79626029 is the engine serial number
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info !
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
You need to load test at the ECM chassis (OEM ) connector . This is the connector that leads away from the engine and towards chassis related components . Using a headlamp as a load , connect one wire from the chassis ground to the headlamp . The other wire from the headlamp to the pins that I will mention on the chassis connector . At each point , the headlamp should come on nice and bright and you should leave it connected for at least 30 seconds to make sure it stays bright .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sxuejcubvxiet3/power%20wiring.png?dl=0 The diagram above shows the power supply pins and the ground pins and also the ignition pin on that connector . If you look closely at the connector , you will see that the pin cavities are identified with little numbers on the connector . You could use paperclips to put in the cavities to load these points so as to not damage the terminals .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqpxv9477xxzhed/connector.png?dl=0You can also use both leads from the headlamp ,using paperclips on ends and insert one paperclip into a ground pin cavity and one into a power pin and check for a bright light . Do this with all cavities . The ignition one will only have power when key is on of course. Let me know how it goes. Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session . That is how I am rewarded for my efforts on here . Feedback is importnat and bonus is much appreciated too . Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That isn't the plug. The power, ground, and ignition are ran into one the large plugs with 50-60 female pins. 4 are power, 4 are grounds and 1 ignition. One question I have is, 6.1v come from the ignition enough to signal the ecu? I thought about jumping it to 12v but didn't want to maybe damage the ecu
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
According to the serial number you gave me , This is an ISX cm2250 ! Correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what the cm2250 stands for but that is the engines serial number, which the ecu only has 3 large well over 10 pin glugs, and I'll ask again... How many volts doesn't the ECU need from the ignition to (read, pick up, or "spark") I'm currently getting 6.1v
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
If this is is a truck , with 12 volt batteries , then this is a 12 volt system . Therefore , it needs to see 12 volts everywhere . At the supply wires and at the ignition wire to run properly . The diagram i sent you is not a complete diagram . Only a partial one of the pins in question . They are on the OEM connector . I sent a icture of the OEM connector along with the location of it on the ECM .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
CM2250 is the name of the Control module in question on the engine . If this is the correct engine serial number , then this is the control module on there on the left side of the engine above the starter area .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So bipassing the harness with a wire straight from the ignition will not hurt the ecu?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
As long as you are connecting on the correct wire or pin cavity as per this diagram ! No it won't hurt it . It needs to see a full 12 volts on the ignition circuit as well as the supply circuits.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Looking for an update ! Do you still need help ? Happy to assist further if needed ! Let me know ! Thanks Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end of the session ! Feedback is very important and Bonus is much appreciated too . Thank you .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's holding a Load sent ecu to get flashed hoping it fixes it
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Oh Ok ! Did you have a fault code to follow that might have been in memory ?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Do you still need help with this? Happy to help if I can ! Let me know ! Thank you !
Please do not forget to rate my service to you!Feedback is important and bonus is appreciated . Thank you