cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

2000 damon escaper with 5.9 cummings engine. i got a fault

Customer Question

2000 damon escaper with 5.9 cummings engine. i got a fault code - Controller #2 Bad Intelligent Device/ 233/ 12. Engine runs, red warning light comes on briefly when going up grade with cruise control, intermittent. No power loss
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.What is the engine serial number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4vzbn819xxc033696 to
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Thank You this fault is for the VP44 fuel pump
CODE REASON EFFECT
Fault Code: 364
PID: S233
SPN: 1077
FMI: 12
No communications or invalid data transfer rate detected on datalink between the ECM and fuel pump control module
The datalink is used to communicate fueling and timing commands, as well as pump status messages. If the datalink is lost, the pump will operate in backup mode based on idle signal (pin 4 at fuel pump connector).
This fault code will be active if the fuel pump power supply is inadequate.
When troubleshooting for this fault, suspect that one or a combination of the following can be the cause: The ECM, fuel pump, or wiring harness/fuses/relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the cruise control have an effect on this problem? When this problem has occurred I have been using the cruise control.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
No the causes could be The ECM, fuel pump, or wiring harness/fuses/relay. It has nothing to do with cruise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the ECU located
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
The ECM is on the drivers side of the engine near the fuel filter in the center of the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel filter on my unit with the Cummings engine is on the passenger side of the engine. Does that change the location of the ECU?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Ok every application is not the same ...The ecm is on the fuel Pump side in the middle of the engine. Look for a Square box with 2 wiring harness's going into it That will be the ECM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the info. We are on the road and I haven't been able to ID cause. We have 200 miles to get home today. Is there anything we can do to minimize the likelihood of the issue becoming worse, causing on-road breakdown. So far the warning light is the only indication that a problem exist, we haven't had any performance issues.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing that can be done to reduce the chances of a failure. The best thing to do is have a Cummins shop hook up to the computer and troubleshoot the fault to properly correct it
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Hi just following up . do you need anything else? Please don't forget to rate my service.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to rate my service.