Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

VOLVO 2007 with cummins isx. Getting check engine fault codes

Customer Question

VOLVO 2007 with cummins isx. Getting check engine fault codes mid 128 sid 33 fmi 3
Fan clutch electrical fault value too high.
Fan clutch new in october, replaced selanoid couplease days ago. Fan is working fine when it's called on took to a cummins dealer, said it was In the parameters and adjusted it. Still getting codes. Went to 2 volvo dealers that said it was in the cummins ecm... no one seems to be able to fix it.. any help?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seemed to start after I had my egr cooler changed and xy shifter on eaton fuller autos hit changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto shift (goofy phone sorry)
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help . Can we start with the 8 digit engine serial number please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
79269657
I believe it is the wiring harness to the solenoid. Problem is I got a new one but the end that fastens to the main wiring is a different plug volvo parts said it is an update but they don't have the new end apparently the whole ecm wiring needs to be replaced. There is an a and b wire I could wire directly and bypass the harness but there is a 3rd wire coming from the main wire harness to the connector that seems to dead end. Not sure I'd that is an ecm return or a dead wire for a fan switch that I don't have as an option
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Is this an air actuated fan clutch with a fan solenoid mounted on the firewall ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Then there should only be two wires to the solenoid . I will look up the code and send the troubleshooting!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes 2 wires. I uploaded a photo of the connector. If I splice a to a and b to b then the third wire is nothing?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Here is the description of the code :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/alqttsh7d1kzks9/33%203%201.pdf?dl=0
And here is the troubleshooting for it :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzcaqsii9044fuv/33%203%202.pdf?dl=0
Yes only two wires
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need anything else! Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'll look this over and let you know
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good ! Please rate my service to you when we are done . That is how i am rewarded on here . Thank you .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went thru the trouble shooting, in the shop now, they want to replace the whole frigging $2000 Wire harness rather than two wires from the ecm to the solenoid. Can't afford it.. may have more to the question
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Why not run an overlay harness from the ECM to the fan solenoid if you believe it is in the harness?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help ?