Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 6nz cat that cuts out going down the road and the

Customer Question

I have a 6nz cat that cuts out going down the road and the only active code is 111-2 coolant code could this be causing the problem
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
The 111-2 coolant level siganl invalid will not cause the engine to cut out. It will only turn on the check engine light.
When you say cut out, do you mean it has an engine miss? If so, does it do this all the time? Or just at certain rpm's or under load?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT is at random rpm's under a load and I would call it a intermittent loss of power to the ecm is what it feels like
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
I would first suspect a low fuel pressure condition. I have seen this before.
If there is a low fuel pressure problem, the check engine light will not come on and the engine will have low power. Your engine should maintain a fuel pressure between 75 and 90 psi. There is a plug beside of the secondary fuel filter that is used to check the pressure. If it is low, I would first try the fuel filters if you haven’t already. If it is still low, you may have a failed fuel pressure regulator, which is located underneath the bottom of the filter housing. I have replaced a ton of these for low fuel pressure. It is kinda a known problem. You could also have a weak fuel transfer pump or restricted hand primer pump, if your engine has one.
I would not suspect a loss of power to the ECM. When this happens the engine will shut down.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs fine pulls really good boost but I will check fuel pessure and get back with you. Thanks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome my friend. Let me know what you find.
Be sure to test the pressure while driving.
Talk to you soon.