Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Paccar mx13 that as started using almost double DEF per mile.

Customer Question

Paccar mx13 that as started using almost double DEF per mile. What would cause this?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The doser for the DEF is worn and needs to be changed out or the shut off valve is leaking. These are the two things that cause this besides a plugged dpf filter. The dpf filter if getting plugged will have more regens than normal. You can connect the Paccar Program ESA or the Cummins Insite to see if the regens are happening more to indicate that the dpf filter needs to be removed and baked. Baking is a process where the filter gets cleaned with chemicals and cooked for 8 hours to remove all the soot in the filter. Now if the regens are the same in timing based on the regen history, next is to check to see if the valve is leaking. Remove the doser by the 2 bolts that hold it on, then start the truck. If it is dribbling, the valve is bad. If it isn't, then the doser needs to be replaced. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still paythe website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Followups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will giveyou an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!Jeremy