Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

After working hour or so, engine slows down, I have to increase throttle over sev

Customer Question

After working for half hour or so, engine slows down, I have to increase throttle over several minutes to keep same pace/power, until it finally just doesn't have the engine revs. If I stop and wait 15 minutes, I can re-start and run for a while again until same scenario occurs. Not smoking abnormally. Don't know if I should be looking for leaning out or flooding out or something else entirely. ?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Engine is starving foe fuel. Have you replaced the fuel filter and checked for good fuel flow from the tank to the filter? Is the fuel tank venting? Not drawing a vacuum?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. I will check through the fuel supply this morning and then try working it again. It did not have white smoke when this was happening (I read that a fuel-starved condition will cause white smoke(?). This tractor is new to me. I did fill up the tank for the first time yesterday - used #5 diesel (somebody told me that #5 is fine instead of #2).
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, fuel filter would be my guess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so I checked through what I could, from the gas tank to the injectors and couldn't find any obstructions or anything. I worked it today for about two hours before it started to act up again. I let it cool a bit, a restarted it and it ran but roughly with light blue smoke when I revved it up. I loosened each of the three bleeder nuts at the top of each injector while it was running and had diesel coming out with a little foamy bubbling. It sure seems to be related to how hot it is and/or how long it has been running. It doesn't appear to have any lack of fuel, but I don't know how much or how strong it should be at the injector tops. If I open one a little further, it squirts fuel up in pulses. Each of the three do the same. Any further thoughts or steps to take to narrow it down? Thanks.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Have you replaced the fuel filter? Always the place to start!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just want to let you know that I've replaced the fuel filter and still have the issue. Checking further but my trial in justanswer is up so I'm going offline. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I would check the tank outlet hose for restriction!