Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

3208T marine diesel. I am looking to buy a boat with that

Customer Question

3208T marine diesel. I am looking to buy a boat with that engines. One tested positive with Radiator coolant in the oil? the oil and filters have been in the engine for 8 years . only 60 hr. but in the frozen north. Rhoad island. So it has been "winterized" 8 times. We changed the oil and Filters . ran the motor 5 hrs. hard . waiting for oil test to be returned.
If the new oil sample comes back clean. Can I trust it????
Bruce
****************
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bruce. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.
Coolant in the oil on a 3208 is normally an indication of a leaking head gasket. I have seen this many times.
I would say yes to the new oil sample. If there is a head gasket leaking. It should show up in the oil sample.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.