Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

98 Int. 4900 dt 466e, Under the hood there are two relays located

Customer Question

98 Int. 4900 dt 466e, Under the hood there are two relays located next to one another just under the windshield, with ignition in the off position one relay continuously clicks and eventually drains the battery(s), I switched the harness from one relay to another and the 2nd relay starts clicking, only other issue is the A/C compressor button on the dash will not activate the compressor, if I run a hot wire straight to compressor it rotates and works great.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there . My name is Andy ! Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wh601984 VIN for 98 Int 4900 dt466e
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info . This is a Ryder truck . What symptoms are we experiencing ? No start , no crank, hard start? We can deal with the AC afterwe get the unit running .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the unit runs perfect, as previously mentioned I am having trouble with the relays (Clicking) the battery(s) become drained due to constant clicking.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Can you pull the loom back a bit and read off the wire numbers to me and I will dig up what circuit this is for ? Are the wires purple ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will research wire # ***** color of wire, 4 hours until I return to shop
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
No worries Mike ! I check on here for updates every few hours . Thanks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Mike ! Looking for an update ! Any luck with the wire numbers ? Do you need anything ? Let me know ! Thanks !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Andy, relay has 4 wire's, 3 are purple one is red, red wire has the following #148 -97cm
relay has the following markings Siemens3505300ci bf2865f24z02
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kdbyyktgwuuqtc/ecm.png?dl=0
Thanks for the info . The red wire is 14B. The purple wire is 97CM. The above link shows that this is you ecm power relay . You either have a defective relay or loose connections somewhere causing this . Would you like the ful diagram to help out ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I switch the the two relays back and forth and i still get the clicking noise, does this not indicate that it is not the relay? loose connection? Please indicate where you would start looking? ECM? etc...
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
It's not the relay then . We need to check the trigger circuit to make sure it is getting 12 volts .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Here is the full diagram of the power circuits for the ECM . The relay is in the middle . You need to start there and check the smaller wires at the relay and see if there is 12 volts accross the two to power the ECM relay . The connector numbers are in parentheses in the diagram so if there is a connector view that you need , please let me know! Thanks.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjx1hhyk62etg5l/ecm1.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send the connector view (diagram) please, do relays click due to low voltage, bad connections? or a combination of both? thanks in advance
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
If you have low voltage on the trigger side ( smaller wires at the relay ) , then yes , they could be clicking like that . Low voltage can be caused by bad connection somewhere along the circuit .Which connector view would you like ? at the numbers in parentheses and let me know which one you want .
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ! Just looking for an update ! Do you still need help ? Happy to assist further if needed !
Please do not forget to rate my service to you ! Feedback is important and Bonus is appreciated . Thank you !